Monday, March 4, 2013

5 months

Tomorrow will be exactly 5 months since I had my initial colonoscopy and found out about this cancer business... At times it feels like a lot longer ago and at other times it seems like just a couple of days ago this all started.  So, here I am, 5months of doctor appointments, lab draws, surgery, recovering, researching, praying, laughing, and loving the people I am surrounded by.  I have learned so much through all of this- mostly I am amazed each day at how loving, selfless, giving, faithful, caring, for lack of a more descriptive word:awesome, that my family, friends, coworkers, friends of friends, doctors, nurses, pretty much everyone that I have come in contact with, have been through this process.  I am so grateful for all the prayers, love, and well wishes.
Tomorrow is hopefully (fingers crossed) my last surgery to kicking this cancer!!!! I'm having my ileostomy takedown (in a nutshell: suturing the colon that is sticking out of my skin, popping it back in and then suturing the abdominal wall and skin back together).  Needless to say I'm pumped about getting rid of the ostomy and getting put back together, but at the same time it has almost become my new normal.  I'm feeling more and more like my self, with increasing energy and can kind of sleep on my stomach again which means I'm pretty much golden! Changing the ostomy bag has become routine and believe it or not it doesn't really take 30min like it did when I initially started:)
I got to see my whole entire family this weekend for my nephew's baptism.  I am so thankful that we got to play together, eat together around one big table (which I did all weekend long since I won't be able to eat or drink for 4 days postop, seriously I ate all weekend long) and pray together. I am so lucky to be their daughter/sister/aunt!!!!
So tonight I plan on standing in the shower a little bit longer, hugging my pups a little harder, squeezing Matt's neck a little tighter, and thanking God a bit longer for all of his continued blessings.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your prayers and love! Megan said that she would update the blog,  but she is convinced that this time is going to be so much smoother that I will be able to update everyone.

"Come to Me, and relax in My peace. I will strengthen you and prepare you for this day, transforming your fear into confident trust."   - Jesus Calling devotional book.     (Thanks Melissa!!!!)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment